As seen in the previous post Moonlight had 8 Oscar nominations and they are the following:
* Best Supporting Actor – Mahershala Ali
* Cinematography – James Laxton
* Best Original Score – Nicholas Britell
* Best Adapted Screenplay – Barry Jenkins &Tarell McCraney
* Best Supporting Actress – Naomie Harris
* Film Editing – Joi McMillon & Nat Sanders
* Best Directing – Barry Jenkins
* Best Picture – Moonlight
These nominations make Moonlight co-editor Joi McMillon the first African-American woman to be recognized by the Academy for editing and director Barry Jenkins only the fourth African-American to be nominated for “Best Director” (John Singleton, Lee Daniels and Steve McQueen were prior nominees). This is Joi’s first feature film and Barry’s second feature.
Written and directed by Jenkins, Moonlight is having an incredible awards season. The film is the only release of 2016 that has topped over 300 Top 10 Lists praised by writers and critics nationwide. In addition to taking home “Best Motion Picture – Drama” at the Golden Globes earlier this month, Moonlight has earned six NAACP Image Award nominations, a Critics’ Choice Award, four Gotham Awards including “Best Picture,” a National Board of Review Award, three SAG nominations and many more. Fans can view a detailed scrapbook and testament to the film’s impact at http://moonlight.movie/.